The question, ‘artificial intelligence and robotics – has automation made more negative impact than positive on employment?’ when thrown up for discussion may facilitate relatively multi-dimensional responses. Nonetheless, the fact remains that they signpost a collective global advancement in human technological pursuit.
Artificial Intelligence has things to do with gathering of human ideas from a different perspective and feed into a robot for its performance. It’s the latest technology that enhances, and relieves human efforts. An instance of this is how robots function. A robot may be designed to be learning in the class for its owner. In the robot is a recording tape, a timer that calculates the time and after listening to the lecture, it will come back to the owner and feed him/her what it has learned. The summation of this is that there is a machine that can carry the responsibility of humans to some satisfying extent, following a set of programmed instructions.
In another word, Artificial intelligence (AI), sometimes called machine intelligence, is intelligence demonstrated by machines, in contrast to the natural knowledge displayed by humans and other animals.
Artificial Intelligence More Explained
In computer science, AI research is defined as the study of ‘intelligent agents’, that’s any device that perceives its environment and takes actions that maximize its chance of successfully achieving its goals. AI is applied when a machine mimics cognitive functions that humans associate with other human minds, such as learning and problem-solving.
According to some scholarly positions, the scope of AI is disputed. machine become increasingly capable, tasks considered as requiring ‘intelligence’ are often removed from the definition, a phenomenon is known as the AI effect leading to the quip. In a position maintained on Buregel (2018), AI is whatever hasn’t been done yet. For instance, optical character recognition is frequently excluded from ‘artificial intelligence’ has become a routine technology. Capabilities generally classified as AI as of 2017 include successfully understanding human speech, competing at the highest level in strategic game systems (such as chess and Go), autonomous
How has AI made more Positive impact than Negative from employment and human labour instance?
The benefit of Artificial intelligence is clear, but we must consider the future of humanity and what havoc it’s capable of wrecking to employment likewise the human gain from it. If indeed the machine is going to be doing human works, there is a tendency that human labour is a threat. But in order to maintain a balanced side, positively it affects by increasing the number of workers needed (Productivity effect), while in its negative side it affects adversely by placing workers directly from the task they previously doing (Displacement effect).
Without an iota of doubt, the new technology innovation would have a positive impact on employment. Before the invention of Artificial Intelligence, Nigerians were experiencing unemployment illness. But with its presence the table turns better, considering these instances below.
- The introduction of the automobile: the introduction of automobiles in daily activities has led to set back in horse-related job. However, from the invention of the automobile, new industries emerged resulting in a positive impact on employment. As a result of this, the automobile industries grew fast and increased the available jobs in the sector. Also, many jobs were created in different areas because of the growing number of vehicle on the roads
- The introduction of software capable of handling and analyzing larger volumes of legal documents: this has helped reducing the cost of search but increased demand for it. Before, a company’s clerk would have to search for the legal documents manually in a more time-consuming way. This has increased by 1.1% on average per year between 2001 and 2017 instead of decreasing due to the displacement effect.
- Automation is the Automated Teller Machine (ATMs): this development has brought a significant reduction in the number of bank clerks over some of the average number fell from 20 per branch in 1988 to 13 in 2004. However, it reduced the cost of running a bank branch but allowing banks to open more offices in response to customer demand. Indeed, as the number of banks increases, so the number of workers/employees increased. Some set of people discovered this, and it’s helpful to humanity.
Similarly, it has been said that recent technology development has opened channels to many job opportunities widely open that we couldn’t imagine a decade ago. However, there is an opinion held that the presence of AI has a negative impact on employment. Two people who believe in this school are Smith and Anderson (2014) who asked 1900 experts in the field about the impact of Artificial Intelligence on employment by 2015. In the result, half (52%) of those given the research concluded that robots and digital agents will have displaced significant numbers of both blue and white-collar workers – with much-expressing concern that this will lead to cast increase in income inequality masses of people who are effectively unemployable, and breakdowns in the social order. The party of 48% submitted that technology will not displace more jobs than it creates by 2025.
Positive Effect Of Artificial Intelligent On Employment
- More opportunities: many people believe that the benefits of Artificial Intelligent will override any employment concerns. But AI will open up opportunities for people to do more-added work, apart from allowing great flexibility and work-life balance.
- Cost Challenge: As AI grows, it gives the market a real challenge; people will demand the product which will tend to increase employees. The machine can’t do it alone. As AI growth and adoption are wholly dependent on overcoming challenges related to reducing costs, securing the more loyalty employees becomes easy.
- Focus Areas: Artificial intelligence integration requires significant time and investment, companies would do well to prioritize those areas that could be automated with relative ease with the ready availability of data. However, companies will also focus on the areas in which more human efforts would be needed. For instance, when a machine produced raw materials, it should be packed by some people who require human attempt – most tangible and immediate returns regarding improved efficiency, cost savings and customer reach.
Conclusion on Artificial Intelligence and Robotic
AI is a benchmark of human technological effort. It signposts an advancement of global space. While it may come with its challenges, the established facts remain that it is the future of human labour.
Artificial Intelligence. A Wikipedia Article Accessed on 12 July 2018 via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence
Do We Understand The Impact Of Artificial Intelligence On Employment available on http://bruegel.org/2017/04/do-we-understand-the-impact-of-artificial-intelligence-on-employment/
Smith A. & Anderson, O. (2014) Human Labour and AI Effect. A Journal of Oceanic Review. Pg 23-31.
Leo, R. (2014). Artificial Intelligence: Mental Cognitive and Connection Between Machine and Human. Blackvile Press. London.